Since the inception of the internet, the manner in which it is delivered into our computer system and other devices has drastically changed. The latest trends call for cutting the wire and going for mobility and flexibility. Though there are still some advantages to having a wired internet connection. This article will explore why it makes sense to go for a wireless internet connection, or why a wired infrastructure should be mostly preferred.
This type of network connection involves using cables to establish an internet connection among devices. Data is transmitted from one device to another using Ethernet cables.
- Reliability. Wired networks offer reliability. Once the switches and Ethernet cables have been plugged in, your devices will be provided with an extremely reliable workhorse system. Another reason why wired networks are reliable is that the connection is not influenced by any other external source unless they are connected to the same cable line.
- Visibility. Wired networks are not easily visible to other available networks unless they are connected to the same cable lines. This allows zero interference with your wired connection.
- Speed. Wired networks are much faster in speed. With the inception of Gigabit routers and other new technologies, internet speeds through wired networks have improved. Also, there are no dead spots in a wired network connection, since a separate cable is used to provide a secure connection to each device. The speeds of a wired network connection are only affected when there is unnecessary or unexpected traffic.
- Security. Your wired network connection is protected from any unauthorized access. This makes the wired connection the best option for workplaces to perform their business operations in private.
- Cost. The materials needed for wired internet connection such as Ethernet cables, switches, routers, and other hardware devices are relatively cost-effective. Also, the lifespan of such materials can stay long.
This kind of network connection uses radiofrequency or microwave signals for sending and receiving data. Such features allow wireless-enabled devices to communicate over the internet without being connected to an Ethernet cable.
- Mobility. The most appealing thing about having a wireless network is that instead of being restricted to your chair next to the router, you can move anywhere and still have an internet connection. You don’t have to deal with the hassle of cables and wires, and without these physical cables, your place will seem neat and clean.
- Installation. The wireless network doesn’t require a lot of equipment, which makes its installation process much easier. Moreover, you also do not need to connect each device with Ethernet cables, rather you can connect them to the internet wirelessly.
- Cost. Finally, the cost of implementing a wireless connection is inexpensive. However, if your network requires equipment such as wireless repeaters or a commercial-grade router, then you might need to invest at some level. These wireless repeaters provide an increase in signal strength and the commercial-grade router will give you a reliable connection and improved security controls.
- New Opportunities. Wireless networking also offers new products and services. For instance, airport lounges, train stations, hotels, restaurants, or any public places have Wi-Fi hotspots services. This allows users to connect their laptops or smart devices to have an internet connection while they are traveling.
Looking through the features of either kind of network connection, one must go for the one that best suits their needs. To reap the benefits of a wired internet connection, one will need to invest in Ethernet cables. Connectors, network switches, etc. Otherwise, if you prefer a wireless connection for your remote internet browsing, then this is what you should go for.
You will need to reach out to your internet services providers in your area to opt for any of these services. There are hundreds of ISPs in the US, and generally, most ISPs have options of wired or wireless for you to choose from. They also have multiple internet plans, based on speeds, their accorded pricing, availability, and other benefits. Our recommendation is to go with Xfinity Internet plans, which offer a variety of internet speeds. Whichever plans you go for, you will definitely have an option to choose wired or wireless connectivity to all your devices.