The stage is set – Xiaomi is going to launch it’s much anticipated Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus smartphones in India on February 14. Press invites for the event have been sent out and the venue is Lalit Hotel of New Delhi. With a big ‘5’ number mentioned on the invites, it’s almost clear that the stage will be used to launch company’s latest Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus smartphones in India, which is company’s second largest market after China.
In case you don’t know, both these devices were launched in China last year in December, which is around 2 months ago. And since both of them are great budget devices with solid specs and narrow bezels, it makes sense for the company to launch them as soon as possible in India as well.
Right now at least one of these devices is almost certain to be launched at the event: Redmi 5. It’s unclear whether Redmi 5 Plus will also be launched alongside it or not. As far as Redmi 5 is concerned, we expect it to come in 3 different variants:
- 2GB RAM + 16GB internal storage
- 3GB RAM + 32GB internal storage
- And 4GB RAM + 32GB internal storage.
Other features of device include a 5.7-inch HD+ (1,440 x 720 px) display with 18:9 aspect ratio, Snapdragon 450 octa-core chipset, 12mp primary camera and 5mp selfie camera. Redmi 5 Plus, on the other hand, will have a 5.99-inch display with Full HD+ resolution (2,160 x 1,080 px), Snapdragon 625 processor and memory configurations of 3GB-32GB and 4GB-64GB. Finally, while Redmi 5 is powered by a 3,300 mAh battery, Redmi 5 Plus comes with a 4,000 mAh battery underneath.
Coming to the price of both these devices, things are expected to look something like this:
- Redmi 5 2GB-16GB variant costs CNY 799 in China, which is roughly Rs. 8,100 INR so we can expect this one to be priced below 10K INR.
- Redmi 5 3GB-32GB variant costs CNY 899 in China, so it may be priced around Rs. 9,000 INR (another variant that’s likely to be priced below 10K INR).
- Redmi 5 4GB version costs CNY 1,099, so it’s likely to be priced around 11K INR.
As for Redmi 5 Plus, the prices may revolve between 10K INR and 15K INR for both its versions. We’ll bring all the info to you on 14th of Feb when the device is launched, so don’t forget checking back.